Makes 6 ooey, gooey croquettes using our Carrot Kimchi Hummus.
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
40g Button Mushrooms
25g Bread Flour
150ml Whole Milk (plant-based is fine but use something fatty; our preference is Cashew or Coconut; Almond is too thin)
2 Tablespoons Carrot Kimchi Hummus
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
Panko Bread Crumbs
To make the filling
Heat frying pan with olive oil, pancetta & mushrooms
Fry & cook for 5 minutes on medium heat until the pancetta and crispy and some the some moisture has been release & drained from the mushrooms
Turn heat to low and add bread flour. The bread flour will result in a gooeir texture, but if you’d like, use all-purpose or cake flour for a silkier texture. We like it gooey!
Stir fry until the flour has been cooked through (raw flour is gross, obvi) & the powdery smell will disappear & transform into an amazing aroma
Turn off heat & add milk at once
With the heat still off, mix well to blend evenly, stirring gently
Turn the heat back on, add the kimchi hummus, salt & black pepper to mix
Breading & frying
8. Coat your hands with vegetable oil. Then, take one-sixth of the filling.
9. Shape the piece into a circle while pushing the air out of it. If any air is trapped inside, it will burst into the hot oil.
10. Wear kitchen gloves or wet your hands with water so the filling doesnt stick
11. Dust with flour, followed by egg and a generous amount of panko.
12. Heat oil to 175 degrees celcius in a shallow pan. You don't have to deep fry it, just a layer of oil enough to shallow fry.
13. Fry for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Timing given is a guidance depending on how hot you oil is - judge for yourself visually!